JOB TITLE: Administrative Assistant
COMPENSATION: Full-time, salaried position, including benefits. Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
EXPECTATION FOR ALL EMPLOYEES
Support the organization's mission, vision, and values by exhibiting the following behaviors: excellence, competence, collaboration, innovation, respect, humility, commitment to our community, accountability and ownership.
Under the direct supervision of the Vice President, the Administrative Assistant will provide administrative and secretarial support to the CEO and Vice President. In addition, duties such as: typing, filing, scheduling, coordination of meetings and conferences, obtaining supplies, coordinating direct mailings, working on special projects will be required. The Administrative Assistant will answer non-routine correspondence, assemble highly confidential and sensitive information, and communicate with a diverse group of important external callers and visitors, as well as internal contacts within all levels of the RDA. Independent judgment is required to plan, prioritize, and effectively organize the diversified workload, and recommend changes in office practices or procedures.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide administrative support to the CEO and Vice President, including high-level secretarial support.
- and organize complex activities such as meetings, travel, conferences and organization activities for all employees.
- Perform desktop publishing; create and developing visual presentations for the CEO and Vice President.
- Establish, develop, maintain and update databases, filing system (electronic and hard copy) and library of electronic and hard copy resources.
- Retrieve information from files when needed; organize and prioritize large volumes of information and calls.
- Sort and distribute mail; open mail for the CEO and Vice President; draft written responses or replies by phone or e-mail when necessary; respond to regularly occurring requests for information.
- Answer phones for CEO and Vice President. Take messages or fields/answers all routine and non-routine questions; work in cooperation with other staff to cover phones.
- Act as a liaison with other public and private organizations, including high-level staff such as elected officials, Board members, executives and their assistants; handle confidential and non-routine information and explains policies when necessary.
- Work independently and within a team on special nonrecurring and ongoing projects; act as project manager for special projects, at the request of the President and Vice President, which may include: planning and coordinating multiple presentations, disseminating information, coordinating direct mailings, creating brochures.
- Type and design general correspondence, memos, charts, tables, graphs, business plans, etc.; proofread copy for spelling, grammar, and layout, making appropriate changes. Responsible for accuracy and clarity of final copy.
- Take minutes at Board of Directors and Committee meetings and circulate for review prior to distribution; take notes at meetings, as requested.
- Support Vice President in maintenance of the Authority finances; activities include copying check requests, documenting corporate credit card expenses, tracking debits and credits against the annual budget using QuickBooks software, and printing checks for expenses, as requested.
QUALIFICATIONS/SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE REQUIREMENTS:
To perform this job successfully, the Administrative Assistant must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Work requires an extensive knowledge of business and an excellent command of the English language.
- Must have knowledge of secretarial, office administrative procedures, and knowledge of use and operation of standard office equipment, at a level generally acquired through 1+ years related experience.
- Must have knowledge of a variety of computer software applications in word processing, spreadsheets, database and presentation software.
- Must have high level of interpersonal skills to handle sensitive and confidential situations. Position continually requires demonstrated poise, tact and diplomacy.
- Some analytical ability is required in order to gather and summarize data for reports, find solutions to various administrative problems, and prioritize work.
- Work requires continual attention to detail in composing, typing and proofing materials, establishing priorities and meeting deadlines.
Bachelor’s degree required.
Minimum of two years’ experience in office administration. Additional experience may offset educational requirements above.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individual assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required of personnel so classified. The incumbent must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to juggle and prioritize multiple, competing tasks and demands and to seek supervisory assistance as appropriate. Incumbents within this position may be required to assist or find appropriate assistance to make accommodations for disabled individuals in order to ensure access to the organization's services (may include: visitors, employees, or others).
The East Baton Rouge Redevelopment Authority is an Equal Opportunity/Equal Access Employer and is committed to building a diverse staff and encourages applications from female and minority candidates.
Location/Region: Baton Rouge