NOVA Chemicals is seeking a skilled Senior Process Engineer to join the Technical Services Team at our Geismar, Louisiana facility. The primary responsibility of this role is to support Process Engineering work in our Sustaining Capital Projects team. This position will identify, study, justify, and act upon opportunities related to projects to improve all aspects of Olefin Plant operation with emphasis on plant safety, operability, efficiency, cost effectiveness, reliability, and production capacity.
This position will be a member of the Technical Services team and will assist in implementing and maintaining process improvements and will work with all of the Geismar Plant team to ensure the plant is operated in a safe, reliable, environmentally compliant, efficient, and profitable manner for the benefit of the company and our partner Sabic, while always abiding by all applicable laws and regulations. As a senior engineer, the individual will provide mentorship to other engineers.
- Assist in implementing and maintaining process improvements to ensure safe, reliable and profitable operation of the plant.
- Define project problem statement, research and evaluate alternatives, select fit for purpose solution for project. Define business case for the project based upon solution and problem to be addressed.
- Support project execution with required process data, operational input thru project design phase.
- Complete project close out evaluation on meeting project objectives
- Research, evaluate and take action against opportunities identified to address potential Process Safety Management concerns within the Geismar facility.
- Participate on cross-functional teams to continually identify and implement facility improvements that focus on enhanced Responsible Care (EH&S) performance, increased reliability, increased production, cost optimization, and waste minimization.
- Provide technical support to all functional departments, as part of troubleshooting, regulatory compliance, and optimization.
The successful candidate will possess a minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering with a minimum of 8 years of engineering related work experience and a good understanding of ethylene manufacturing technology.
The ideal candidate will also possess:
- Oil and gas / petrochemical industry experience
- Ability to manage multiple complex projects with a high level of customer satisfaction.
- Motivation and ability to improve existing processes.
- Integrity, Values, and Trust – Instills confidence of one’s intentions and positively represents the organization by being responsible and straightforward
- Drive for Results – Is motivated and determined to achieve objectives while working in compliance
- Customer/Stakeholder Focus – Makes customer and stakeholder needs a primary focus of one’s actions; develops and sustains effective relationships with customers and stakeholders
- Computer experience with Microsoft Office, Microsoft Projects, PowerPoint, and Excel Work products
- Professional Engineer license is an asset
Note: The employee will need to have a valid driver’s license and secure a TWIC card
NOVA Chemicals develops and manufactures chemicals and plastic resins that make everyday life safer, healthier and easier. Our employees work to ensure health, safety, security and environmental stewardship through our commitment to sustainability and Responsible Care®. NOVA Chemicals, headquartered in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, is wholly-owned ultimately by Mubadala Investment Company of the Emirate of Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.
Located just south of Baton Rouge and employing more than 120 people, the olefins facility in Geismar, Louisiana, annually produces approximately 1.95 billion pounds of ethylene and 114 million pounds of polymer grade propylene. It also produces 13 million gallons of crude butadiene and 14 million gallons of Debutanized Aromatic Concentrate per year.
NOVA Chemicals’ flexible benefit programs are designed to meet the diverse needs of our employees, because when it comes to benefits, everyone has different priorities. Our benefits offerings will vary based on your work location, and are an element of the “Total Rewards” package.
Location/Region: Geismar, LA